I am not an expert on bipolar disorder... I just live with it. This is my blog of hope and encouragement.

Friday, March 7, 2014

Ash Wednesday...or giving up for Lent

Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent, the 40 day period of fasting, repentance, and spiritual discipline before Easter, not including Sundays.  There are posts on line, which I find credible, that state that bipolar individuals should not fast.  I think that makes sense. We need to keep in balance everything we can control, like food.

But what about abstaining from one substance?  Common substances given up for Lent are coffee and sugar. While neither of which is good for bipolar individuals, suddenly stopping them is not good either, for obvious reasons.

I have decided to give up for Lent.  I tried to give up coffee and mindlessly made my routine cup before dawn on Wednesday morning.  As my daughter said, "I blew it."  I intended to cut out sugar but impulsively went after 2 Dunkin' Donuts yesterday afternoon...and I don't even like them.  Again, she's a "better Christian" than I am.

Some Christians choose to 'take on,' rather than 'give up.' something for Lent.  I had planned on starting a practice of Centering Prayer, but lately I've been too manic or agitated to sit for 20 minutes in silence, consenting and intending to just be in the presence of God.  I can manage maybe 5 minutes.

If you have followed my blog at all, you are aware that I am all over the place.  Lots of plans, best of intentions, failure and defeat.  I think the most genuine and hopeful gesture I can make is resignation.  I give up for Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment