I am not an expert on bipolar disorder... I just live with it. This is my blog of hope and encouragement.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Therapy

I’m getting a nag about being petulant where a certain individual is concerned. Let’s just say I was wronged...years ago. For years I accepted this individual but just didn’t like her. Now I’ve dug up old hurts and I’m determined to avoid her…and dislike her. Is this progress? Is it progress to plow up a fallow field exposing the soil to drying air and nourishing sun? Does it improve the soil or simply result in unwanted weeds that deplete the nutrients? Aeration is good when planting something of value…getting air to the roots is vital. Even when planting new seeds one ends up dealing with weeds…again and again.

Therapy often requires that we turn the soil of our souls…our psyches and experience. That which keeps us trapped in habitual thinking can be rooted out and exposed to the light of day. Otherwise, abuse and neglect from the past will get in the way of progress and healthy growth. But once you have dealt with deep-rooted hurts and resentments, often kindness and forgiveness is called for as a balm or dressing to the stirred up soil, psyche, soul. Note, the dressing is for the soil, not that which was expunged.

I am not much of a gardener but I do understand a bit about therapy. Hate is a pernicious weed.

No comments:

Post a Comment